Sunday, February 19, 2012

"The Problem With No Name"

“The problem with no name” is an interesting reading that captured my attention on several aspects. As said in the reading females during that time period have a specific role, a role in which every female wanted to have. This was a role that was portrayed all throughout the media, and even psychologists like Freud. This role was to be feminine, and being feminine was to get married, have kids, and take care of kids and husband. They were just simply “housewives”. Having an education or dreaming about having a career was considered to be unfeminine, and those who have careers are said to be unhappy.
 Reading this made me realize how much things have changed, in this day and age. Females now are more interested in their careers; actually I believe they are interested in both their careers and in their families. Many females now believe they can take the role of a man. Females are more motivated to do things that are said to be only done by men, because of the stereotype that women cannot achieve anything I man can do, or the saying “this is a man job” No, I women can be anything she want to be, are women minorities yes, is it difficult to get to the top yes, but many females each and every day are making a change. There is no problem with being a housewife, matter of fact i believe there is alot of work to taking care of a family. I also believe that women need to have a career outside their homes. It is a way to experience other things, rather than stay in their homes, and most importantly gives them a sense of self-worth, and self-recognition. In the reading these females gave up their dreams to become a housewife, as mentioned before this was something that was seen as being the female role.
 As the reading continues many of these housewives went on to say “Is this it”.
 A mother of four mentions “I've tried everything women are supposed to do--hobbies, gardening, pickling, canning, being very social with my neighbors, joining committees, running PTA teas. I can do it all, and I like it, but it doesn't leave you anything to think about--any feeling of who you are. I never had any career ambitions. All I wanted was to get married and have four children. I love the kids and Bob and my home. There's no problem you can even put a name to. But I'm desperate. I begin to feel I have no personality. I'm a server of food and putter-on of pants and a bed maker, somebody who can be called on when you want something. But who am I?”
This proves what I said earlier. A lot of these housewives don’t know who they are, and feel as if they have no life outside their families. As I said before there is nothing wrong with that, but clearly these females felt they wanted to have more than a family and kids, they wanted to mean something to themselves and to the world. Now having a career is not the only thing that will make someone feel better bout themselves. It takes alot, but at the end of the day its what make you feel happy. In my opinion, i believe it is good to have both, career and family, and also have time to yourself to get away from certain things.

1 comment:

  1. You put your finger on something very important here! The problem isn't the responsibilities of the housewife so much as the apparent lack of choice when it came to adopting that role. Many women now who choose to become housewives are in a much different position because they know they could, if they so chose, pursue a career outside of the home. But when being a housewife is portrayed as the one true path to femininity and it makes you so desperately unhappy, you're left with the sort of problems the quotation you cite above describes.

    ReplyDelete